Wednesday, May 2, 2012

the long and short of it














Sigh... Life is so unfair. All I want to do is wear a crop top with a pencil skirt, but I literally can't think of a single occasion where this would be appropriate. This look is the perfect juxtaposition of sophistication and irreverence, which is why I love it, and exactly why I have nowhere to wear it.

Runways, blogs and editorials are full of a variety of high-waisted skirts with different crop tops. However, my absolutely favorite is a pencil skirt with a bralette. I just think the proportions are perfect. It elongates, brings attention to a small waist, and, as long as you're not that busty, gives an athletic twist to a refined look. It has a 60's feel with a bohemian twist. It looks perfect with big, messy, Bardot hair.

So obviously, I can't rock this to work. I'm pretty sure it's not the best choice for a dinner with all the eating, and sitting, and probably slouching I'd do. Maybe for a night out? It just feels a little too glamorous or outrageous. Editorials have shown the look with light jackets and blazers, or maybe a cardigan thrown over top, à la Krystal would tame it a little bit?

P.S. I was just scanning my beloved Oscar PR Girl's Tumblr, and came across this picture. I'm perpetually channeling Cher Horowitz.

2 comments:

  1. Yes yes yes yes yes. This look is SO flawless to me on every level - sophisticated with a little bit of sass. I have been trying to channel it with my Autumn wardrobe and feel like I could do a littleeee better so this is great styling inspiration!

    Anna xo

    http://www.lifesshinyprettythings.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  2. love these cut-outs! i'd never wear them (i wish i could though) but WOW!


    xoxo from nyc & http://www.the-beautiful-things.com

    ReplyDelete