Tuesday, October 18, 2011

cool kids








There are a lot of downsides to being freakishly small (I'm 5'1) and young looking. Bartenders regularly act like I'm pulling a fast one on them with a super awesome fake I.D., guests at work think I'm an intern, people frequently assume my boyfriend is my dad, brother or uncle (he's 6'5)... normal. If you saw me walking down the street, you'd assume I was like, 17. If I just rolled out of bed... probably 14.

All my life I've been told that I'll appreciate this when I'm older. I'm still waiting.

One great benefit though, is being able to buy children's clothes. They're cheaper, and you never have to worry about being caught in the same outfit as someone else. Except maybe your 7-year-old neighbor. A children's size 12 is basically a S or XS in women's. A 14 can sometimes even be too big on me.

The best place for kid's clothing is J. Crew's Crew Cuts.

Not everything works. Pull-over tops don't really fit because of the high necklines and straight shapes. The same goes for dresses.

The mecca of kid's clothes is button-ups which are amazing and often fit me better than women's sizes. You'll also strike gold with a-line skirts, loose-fitting shorts, outerwear and accessories.

I need to get my hands on the Vintage Cord Boy Short and Flight School Vest.

1 comment:

  1. I love that I found your blog! I am 5"3, so not quite as short as you, but probobly equally as small. I am a size 00... ridiculous! So, I fit into a size 12-14 in kids as well! I love Crewcuts... cheaper cashmere, cheaper jackets... sometimes better patterns too! I own about 10 crewcuts button ups, tons of open sweaters and lots of A-Line skirts! This post is just GREAT!!! :)

    xoxox
    Alexandra
    www.fashion-feast.com

    ReplyDelete