Tuesday, November 8, 2011

day at the races







This weekend, my friends and I celebrated one of my oldest friends, Elena's, birthday by spending the day at the Montpelier Races. The weather could not have been better and we had the best time sitting outside eating and drinking.

Horse races are such an interesting setting to observe people's fashion choices. Some people took cues from Kate Middleton and rocked crazy, feathered fascinators while others were more inspired by the horses and wore cowboy hats and boots.

My friends and I all seemed to be on the same page, wearing skinny jeans, riding boots and cute jackets. The races take place at James Madison's home, so I feel like it's best to be respectful of the beautiful setting and not go so over the top. Boots are necessary in case you find yourself tailgating in a muddy area. Layering is the most important thing. I was constantly taking my pea coat off and just wearing my plaid button-up and fur vest.

There are definitely ways to stand out in the crowd without looking silly. A thick skirt could be worn instead of jeans, and a long sweater could replace a jacket. The best way to really have fun with it would be to mix textures and colors and experiment with a different silhouette. I would have loved to wear tweed shorts with patent boots and cable knit leg warmers topped with a silk blouse, rich velvet blazer and equestrian inspired scarf. No matter the outfit, fun accessories can keep it looking young and modern.



No comments:

Post a Comment